We spoke to Ismi Cosmetics founder Michal Meron to find out more.
Firstly, where did you see a gap in the market for steamer-free extractions?
“I moved to Australia from Israel eight years ago. In Israel about 99% of facials have extractions included in them – it’s a cultural thing and just another step in a facial, not an additional or extra.
“When I moved to Australia I couldn’t find anything similar to the products that were everywhere in Israel: the thermal plumping gel which helped loosen up pores prior to extraction. There were some prep products, but they were all connected to a major brand that required practitioners to stock the full range or place minimum orders. I was and still am a beauty therapist – I wanted a single product that could prep the skin for extractions without the need for a steamer, that wouldn’t require exorbitant investment!”
What are the benefits of steam-free extractions?
“Using a topical product instead of a steamer has lots of benefits. I will list them below:
- Because you are applying the product directly to the skin, you can focus on specific areas of hyper-congestion – perhaps applying more product or massaging the area more intensely.
- The product has benefits of it’s own outside of simple prep. It helps hydrate the skin while keeping it calm, rather than simply steaming it.
- Some people with respitory problems or claustrophobia. For these clients, steaming can present an issue – topical prep is a great alternative.
- It’s a small, 250ml tub instead of a bulky machine!
- It helps reduce airflow between client and therapist. As we recover from COVID-19 treatments that reduce airflow between client and therapist will be more popular.
What are the active ingredients in the Ismi Thermal Plumping Gel?
“The main actives are AHA + BHA to help the skin with its shedding process. They are not in a high enough percentage to make this an exfoliating product, but they assist with gently softening the skin. Aloe Vera has been chosen to hydrate and keep the skin calm, along with being an anti-inflammatory. Then I included chamomile and allantoin that help soothe and disinfect.”
Why are you so passionate about extractions?
A few reasons. One is results – where I grew up, a facial wasn’t complete without an extraction. My approach is very results focus and I want them to leave with the freshest skin possible, which for me isn’t achievable without an extraction.
I do feel that there is not sufficient training around extractions in Australia. It is not considered a required step in a facial, so a lot of beauticians have not been taught how to do it and therefore aren’t confident!
Clients are requesting extractions more and more so I feel it should be taught in every beauty course.
What’s next in 2022?
For 2022 we might be adding another product for post-extraction. It is still a work in progress though! I would like to also work on educating the Australian beauty community on extractions. It doesn’t have to be a costly or difficult treatment to offer. With products like the thermal plumping gel you don’t need to invest in expensive equipment, or a full range of specific products. That was my reason for starting Ismi cosmetics and what I’ll continue to focus on in the new year.
Read the current issue of our digital magazine here:
- For more news and updates, subscribe to our weekly newsletter
- Follow us on Instagram
- Like us on Facebook
- Join Australia’s largest network of beauty industry professionals on LinkedIn
- Subscribe to our print magazine
Have an idea for a story or want to see a topic covered on our site and in our pages? Get in touch at email@example.com.