To celebrate National Brow Day on Monday (October 2), Benefit Cosmetics gave away 2000 free brow waxes across Australia.
In addition, the company, which is the “world’s #1 brow brand”, released a survey outlining Australian women’s growing obsession with their brows.
Key findings from the survey of 1000 women include:
- Almost one third (30 percent) of Australian women believe that shaping their brows is the quickest makeup fix to look younger.
- Audrey Hepburn has the most desirable celebrity eyebrows with an overwhelming 50 percent opting for the fashion icon’s brows over ‘Her Eyebrow-ness’ Cara Delevigne and reality queen Kim Kardashian.
- 35 percent of women see beautiful brows as vitally important to their appearance.
- Over one third (36 percent) of women say a bad brow experience has ruined their day.
- Almost two in every five (39 percent) women say they overplucked their eyebrows in the 1990s thanks to the thin brow trend seen on celebrities like Pamela Anderson and Gwen Stefani.
- Over a third (36 percent) of women wear brow products every day or most days.
- Almost one third (32 percent) of women would tattoo their eyebrows before undergoing other cosmetic procedures such as Botox or lip fillers.
- 18 percent of Australian women would never leave home without doing their eyebrows.
- 16 percent of Australian women spend between $20 and $60 on their eyebrows every month.
Benefit Australia’s national brow artist Hannah Mutze concludes that although eyebrows are just two small strips of hair on our faces, they have become a beauty obsession for good reason.
“Eyebrows are the most powerful way to transform your look and when shaped correctly, can take years off your complexion,” she says.
“They frame the face, bring balance to your features and are the quickest way to look fresh and youthful, without having to apply too much makeup.”
She said Australian’s obsession with brows is also reflected in the doubling of Benefit brow product sales year-on-year since 2015.
Earlier this year Benefit Australia broke a Guinness World Record for the most eyebrow waxes performed in eight hours by a team − 10 Benefit brow experts waxed 435 brows in eight hours to beat the previous world record of 382 brows.
The event raised money for Benefit’s annual philanthropy program Bold is Beautiful –$10 from every wax was donated to the Look Good Feel Better, Fitted for Work and Sister 2 Sister charities which all work to create positive change in the lives of women and girls.