What is Silymarin?
The active ingredient Silymarin is is actually derived from the Milk Thistle plant.
What are the benefits of using Silymarin?
When we asked the team what the benefits of Silymarin are in beauty products, they said told us that this breakthrough oil-free vitamin C antioxidant serum is specifically designed to provide advanced environmental protection for oily and blemish-prone skin.
How is it used in this breakthrough antioxidant serum?
Silymarin CF contains a precise antioxidant combination of Silymarin, pure vitamin C and ferulic acid stabilised in a patent-pending delivery system to improve the appearance of oily and blemish-prone skin and reduce visible signs of ageing. The active ingredient concentrations are:
- 0.5% silymarin helps prevent oil oxidation
- 15% pure vitamin C provides powerful antioxidant protection against skin-ageing free radicals
- 0.5% ferulic acid enhances the stability and performance of vitamin C
- 0.5% salicylic acid helps unclog pores and targets blemishes
In the clinical trials run by SkinCeuticals, the serum has been shown to reduce oiliness, refine skin texture and visibly improve clarity and the appearance of fine lines with no downsides, no photosensitizing, although it’s always recommended to follow with a high-SPF sun product, like SkinCeuticals Ultra Facial Defence SPF 50+.
What does oil oxidation have to do with blemishes?
SkinCeuticals has identified a new opportunity in the application of topical antioxidants to help prevent oil oxidation. “The oxidative theory of ageing is well established in the scientific community. With this launch, we’re bringing the oxidative theory of blemish formation to light – the idea that oxidation can also lead to breakouts, specifically from oxidation of sebum,” said Leslie Harris, Global General Manager of SkinCeuticals. “Through six years of persevering research we have been able to develop a synergistic vitamin C antioxidant formula for those with oily or blemish-prone skin so they can confidently incorporate a vitamin C into their skincare regimen. It features silymarin, a potent antioxidant derived from the milk thistle plant, demonstrated to help inhibit oil oxidation.”
As a brand committed to in-vivo (live skin) proof, SkinCeuticals conducted multiple independent clinical studies to demonstrate Silymarin CF’s efficacy across key attributes in oily, blemish-prone, and ageing skin. Results demonstrate:
- 16% reduction in oiliness1
- Up to a 76% reduction in oxidation of skin oils2
- 38% improvement in skin texture3
- 25% improvement in clarity3
- 24% improvement in fine lines3
- 1Protocol: a 12-week, single-centre clinical study was conducted on 50 women and men ages 18-50 with oily, blemish-prone skin. Silymarin CF was applied once daily in conjunction with a sunscreen. Results stated at 1 week.
- 2Protocol: Sebum collected from the forehead of 35 subjects with oily skin, after 4 weeks of Silymarin CF use. The ratio of squalene-to-squalene peroxides was measured.
- 3Protocol: an 8-week, single-centre clinical study conducted on 55 women ages 25-50 with mild to moderate signs of photodamage. Silymarin CF was applied once daily in conjunction with a sunscreen.