Want to find out more about Radio Frequency skin tightening? Here is everything you need to know.
In this year’s 2015 Professional Beauty Equipment Survey, 56 per cent of our readers say they would choose to invest in skin tightening, which a big jump from last year’s 24 per cent. So we thought we should take a minute to talk skin tightening: How does it work? Why is it in more demand than ever? Here’s the lowdown on this in-demand non-surgical beauty treatment.
What is Radio Frequency skin tightening?
Radio Frequency or RF skin tightening, is gaining momentum within the beauty industry as an effective non-surgical solution to putting the breaks on ageing. It’s also great for improving skin tightness and smoothing out loose skin due to significant weight loss.
How does it work?
Radio Frequency (RF) systems utilise a handpiece to slowly rotate over the treatment area where it transmits radio waves through the upper layers of the skin to the dermis, heating it to between 40-50°C, while leaving the epidermis undamaged and unaffected. The act of applying this heat to the dermis triggers three key benefits:
- Tissue retraction – The heat causes local contraction of the collagen fibres, which immediately tightens the skin to reveal a lifted, tighter and more youthful appearance.
- New collagen formation – Heating the dermis stimulates production of new collagen which is essential in the battle against signs of ageing. Increased collagen equals plumper, firmer skin with a greater level of elasticity.
- Improved circulation – RF also improves the blood and lymphatic flow. This helps induce a better oxygen supply and greater toxin clearance to further reduce the signs and effects of ageing.
Why is it so popular?
There are several reasons why beauty businesses and patients are turning to RF for skin tightening solutions.
- RF can be used to treat the entire body. All the most common areas of lax or sagging skin can generally be treated by RF – from under the eyes, to the jowls, neck, décolleté, upper arms, abdomen, thighs and more!
- It’s painless and non-invasive. This makes it a great alternative to invasive surgery. There is also no downtime required post-treatment, so patients can get on with their day.
- Results are psychologically satisfying. Patients will notice an instant improvement to their skin after their RF treatments, and the results get better with time.
Which devices offer RF skin tightening?
While stand-alone RF skin tightening devices are available, you’ll find some more advanced IPL machines have integrated RF skin tightening as well as body contouring capabilities. Different businesses will suit different machines, so it’s best to discuss the options with a reputable equipment provider, such as The Global Beauty Group, before making a decision.
Have your say: Do you use RF skin tightening in your salon? What do you and your clients love about it?