With the warmer months upon us, it’s time to start advocating for your clients to spend less time out in the sun and more time sunless tanning in-salon. Shania OBrien spoke to Mother of Tan founder Annabelle Newman about the biggest trends she’s seen this year.
Tanning and wellness
As temperatures drop and more people flock to the beach, yearning for the perfect tan is second-nature. Offering spray tans as part of your business has the potential to bring in more clients all year-round because of change in attitudes to the treatment.
Tanning has moved past being a pre-event treatment. While people would traditionally book in for the perfect glow on a Thursday ahead of a big weekend, clients are moving towards sunless tanning as an everyday self-care treatment.
The era of people only getting spray tans to appear less pale is behind us as more and more people are turning to professionals for the newly reconceptualised wellness treatment.
“Getting an artificial tan used to only be for people who wanted to appear less pale, but no longer,” said Mother of Tan founder Annabelle Newman. “It’s more about self-care and raising spirits now; the perfect tan can boost confidence and have clients looking extremely fresh.”
Body contouring and new trends
Annabelle added, “The right technique can also make clients look thinner and provide muscle definition. I’ve definitely met people who use tanning mousse to embellish their abs and body contour. The product can define shoulder and collar bones – it’s extremely versatile.”
Framing the treatment in this way can also attract a larger client base and make the classic treatment more inclusive.
“I definitely think tanning has moved past being a seasonal occasion and is now more of a year-round beauty treatment,” said Annabelle.
Annabelle also revealed that when she founded Mother of Tan, the brand’s main goal was to get people out of the sun and keep them safe from melanoma and a variety of skin diseases.
“It’s 2022, you don’t have to bake in the sun to achieve the perfect summer glow.”
Top tips to extend the life of a tan
Annabelle also provided professional tips to ensure your client’s tan will stay golden for as long as possible:
- Exfoliate 24 hours before the appointment: remember to ask your clients to buff away dead skin cells by exfoliating. This will help the tanning product absorb better and more evenly; and also prolong the tan’s life;
- Wax before the appointment: shaving, especially when done wrong, can irritate your client’s skin and dull its glow;
- Moisturise daily: be sure to recommend an oil-free moisturiser your client can use every day;
- Stay out of chlorine: it’s impossible to keep your clients out of the water, but remind them that chlorine and salt act as a natural exfoliant that will cause their tan to fade quicker;
- Avoid facial toners and masks with alcohol: skincare products containing alcohol or witch hazel can lighten the tan’s appearance and dry your client’s skin out.
Here’s a list of five tanning products Professional Beauty is loving this Spring:
Natural Look Rich Chocolate Spray Tanning Mist (12% DHA)
Loving Tan The Signature Set
Mine Tan Bronze Babe Home Spray Tan Kit
Mother of Tan Invisible Self Tanning Mousse
Zuii Certified Organic Flora Dry Oil Tan Extender
Read the current issue of our digital magazine here:
- For more news and updates, subscribe to our weekly newsletter
- Follow us on Instagram
- Like us on Facebook
- Join Australia’s largest network of beauty industry professionals on LinkedIn
- Subscribe to our print magazine
Have an idea for a story or want to see a topic covered on our site and in our pages? Get in touch at email@example.com.