Pinterest has analysed the search-and-save patterns of its ‘48 million beauty pinners’ to discover next year’s Top 10 beauty trends.
The social media platform, which has seen a 75 percent increase in beauty pins this year, released its beauty trends forecast within its annual Pinterest 100 list which also predicts trends in other popular categories such as food, home and women’s style.
According to Pinterest, the platform has unique insights into emerging consumer trends.
“Since people use Pinterest to shop and plan, we get early signals into consumer behaviour and changing tastes.
“To identify emerging trends, our insights team analysed search-and-save patterns for the past year. They looked for topics that showed critical mass, grew at least 50 percent in 2017 and trended up towards the end of the year.”
The company believes Pinterest 100 and the Top 10 beauty trends within it (listed below) can help businesses find new ways to connect with their audience.
“Knowing what’s next for your customers gives you an advantage as you plan things like marketing, product development and merchandising.”
- Next-level lashes: Brows are still big, but all eyes are on long, lush lashes and how to get them (searches for ‘lashes’ +152%).
- Oil, beauty’s biggest overachiever: The unexpected beauty product for softer skin, smoother hair and shinier lips (saves for ‘cleansing oil’ +555%).
- 50 shades of you: More skin tones, from the fairest to the darkest, are being covered in new shade-inclusive foundation lines (saves for ‘complexion matching’ +378%).
- What about the bob? Everyone with a lob or bob is taking it to extremes with longer locks and playful pixies (saves for ‘long hair’ and ‘pixie’ +130%).
- Graphic (nail) design: Geometric and negative space manicures are a fun way to flash some personality (searches for ‘geometric nails’ +83%).
- Bright eyes: Neon under liner or inner shadow creates edgy, look-at-me eyes (searches for ‘bright eyeshadow’ +63%).
- This is how we roll: From ice and derma, to jade and quartz, facial rollers are a beloved beauty tool (saves for ‘derma roller’ +345%).
- All-in-one kits: Makeup aisles can be intimidating, so people are picking up curated kits and looking for tutorials to build their own (saves for ‘makeup kit’ +147%).
- Lips love tints: A sheer or matte tint is the perfect starter lipstick – it’s affordable, easy to use and punches up the colour (saves for ‘lip tint’ +414%).
- Wet and wild hair: Prepare to see a lot of super slicked-back styles and all kinds of curls—yep, even perms (saves for ‘slicked back’ and ‘wavy’ +166%).