Because drawing outside the lines is so much more fun…
In case you missed the memo, graphic liner is in. Think feminine flicks, bold squared-off lines and deconstructed looks. Basically, anything goes.
This season the pros have been mixing it up on the catwalks with classic styles contrasted by edgy modern interpretations and an overarching focus on creating a statement look.
From scribbled lids at M.A.C’s latest trend show to the smouldering waterlines at Versace, the hero makeup product creating this season’s hottest look is the liner pen – texta-like eyeliner that applies like a pen (perfect for eyeliner newbies, application is near foolproof without the worry of running or smudging) with the look of a liquid.
Because most liner pens are super fine tipped, they also allow for ultimate precision, so are perfect for pulling off sophisticated looks.
Black is back in a big way this year, but that hasn’t stopped pops of electric blue and crisp white from making an appearance. But whether you want to draw outside the lines and embellish your clients’ peepers with pops of colour in edgy designs or keep it simple, there’s one look in liner that will never date – the winged eye.
And there’s a super easy way to pull it off to flawless effect, every time, in just six easy steps…
1. Dip a fine tipped liner brush into your eyeliner pot and swirl a couple of times before wiping excess liner off on the back of your hand.
2. Using a dabbing motion, carefully place small dots along the upper lash line until you have created a line – the line should be thicker at the outer corner of the eye and thinner at the inner corner.
3. Sharpen the line with a couple of long, clean strokes dragged right across the upper lash line.
4. Create the outline of your flick by drawing a small triangle pointed up toward the tail of your client’s brow.
5. Fill in the triangle.
6. Neaten any rough edges by carefully going around the liner with a cotton tip dabbed in makeup remover, then apply mascara to finish.
Ready to embrace the statement eye this Winter? Take your clients’ look to the next level with these new season finds…
The latest graphic liners, as seen in our May/June issue: 1. M.A.C Penultimate Eye Liner in Rapidblack. Contact M.A.C Cosmetics 1800 613 828. 2. Sothys Universal Black Eye Pencil. Contact Sothys 1800 816 599. 3. Napoleon Perdis Two-Faced Eyeliner Duo in High Society. Contact Napoleon Perdis 1800 814 572. 4. Curtis Collection Luxe Liner in Jet Black. Contact Curtis Collection (07) 3162 4661. 5. Nars Eyeliner Stylo in Carpates. Contact Mecca Cosmetica 1800 007 844. 6. Eles Felt Tip Liner in Black Cat. Contact Eles Cosmetics 1800 069 116. 7. Blinc Ultra Thin Liquid Eyeliner Pen in Black. Contact International Beauty Supplies 1800 358 999. 8. Youngblood Eye-Mazing Liquid Liner Pen in Azul. Contact Professional Beauty Solutions 1800 625 387. 9. Klara Cosmetics Liquid Eyeliner. Contact Klara Cosmetics klaracosmetics.com.