Nail artist Maria Vlezko of SoNailicious is on the speed-dial of Australia’s leading editors, fashion designers and brand managers, who all flock for her immaculate nail designs. It’s not hard to see why, with the incredibly talented artist, entrepreneur and business woman showing us how to create her latest electric nail design – Mixed Media.
Mixed media nail designs look so effortlessly chic when done in monochrome colours. To make it a real stand out, add a touch of holographic foil. It looks plain silver in day light and shines with all colours under direct light, which makes this design perfect for day and night.
This geometric mixed media nail design can be done using regular nail polish, gel or even acrylics.
You will need:
- Opaque white nail colour
- Holographic foil
- Nail glue
- Black striping tape
- Silver striping tape
- Top coat
- Cuticle nippers
1. Paint two coats of opaque white nail polish. Let it dry or cure if you’re using gel.
2. Mark with a silver nail polish where you’re going to apply the foil and apply nail glue in these areas.
3. Cut a few small pieces of foil and gently press it on the surface of your nails (over the glue area).
4. Wait a few seconds and lift the foil slowly. Make sure the foil is getting attached to the nail. If not, press a bit more and wait a few seconds before lifting the foil.
5. Cut a few 2cm long pieces of wide black tape and thin silver tape and attach it on each nail, as pictured.
6. Wait at least 5 minutes for the design to set (no need to wait if you’re using gel), then, extra carefully glide a top coat over without touching the surface of your nail with the brush. Once the first layer is dry, apply second layer. This time aiming to even out the bumpy nail surface.
7. Step back and admire your handiwork!
You can learn first-hand how to create designs like this and much more from Maria during her special nail art workshops at Beauty Expo Melbourne; Saturday 25 to Sunday 26 March at the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre (MCEC). For more information and to book tickets, head to www.beautyexpoaustralia.com.au/beauty-expo-melbourne/